The church at Nämdö

LL997708
The church at Sand, Nämdö. Built and consecrated in 1876. It replaced a round church (built 1798) about 1 mile to the north at "Kyrkudden". (Kyrkudden is the place opposite to the ferry terminal at "Kalkberget".) The church prior to the round church at Kyrkudden, was located here where the church is today. That church was built in 1702.
An older abandoned church building was burnt down by the Russians in 1719.
LL997707
LL997713
LL998302
LL997709
LL997712
LL998234
LL998232
LL997723
Magnus Blix was the owner of the island of Nämdö 1772-1805. Blix was the person behind building of the round church at Kyrkudden. In the middle of this photo, you see Blix´s "coat of arms". Those on each side of his belong to the families of his two wives. The photo has been retouched and possibly it shows the original look of the arms.
LL998236
An unretouched photo showing the current look of one of the escutcheons in the church. The coat of arms belonged to Blix´ first wife Sofia Ulrica Stiernroos, who died 1790. These escutcheons probably come from the round church.
LL997719
genom Mosen äro Lagen gifinn. Joh 1.
(For) the law was given by Moses ...
  Joh. 1:17.

Moses with the stone tablets
LL997727
Nådh och Sanning genom Jesum Christum
(but) grace and truth came by Jesus Christ
Joh 1:17

John the Babtist. The face has been destroyed by water leakage through the roof (the roof has been fixed now).
LL997722
The altar screen is said to be a piece of work made by a workshop from the German Hanseatic town of Lübeck in the end of the 15th century. The screen has been roughly treated and some parts are missing. In connection with the Reformation a lot of things were changed in our churches.
LL997728
LL997725
THENNA TAFLA HAFVER ERLIGH OCH FÖRSTÅNDIGH GOTFRIDH HINDERSON BEFALNINGSMAN VIDH ÖSTARVIK OCH TILLyDAND GODS LÅTIDT SÄTIA ÖFVER SINA SALIGE BARNS GRAF NÄMLIGH HINDRIK GOTFRIDSON OCH ANNA GOTTFRIDSDÅTTAR ANNO 1648
Epitafium (commemorative tablet) over two dead children put up in 1648 by their father, who was the foreman at the Östanvik farm. The lower part of the tablet: A quotation taken from the Bible.
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1 But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and there shall no torment touch them.
Wisdom of Solomon 4:7 But though the righteous be prevented with death, yet shall he be in rest.
v.14 For his soul pleased the Lord: therefore hasted he to take him away from among the wicked.
Isaiah 26:19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.
(from King James Version (KJV))
LL998301
Wood chandelier. The story behind this is said to have served as a model for August Strindbergs story "Sjönödslöftet" (The vow at distress at sea) in "Skärkarlsliv", a couple of stories from the skerries.
LL997721
LL998229
LL998206
Today there are many big trees and a lot of bushes around the church. That was different in earlier years. Then there was a very open landscape around the church.
FBNB005
FBNB016
Two photos taken from exactly the same place but with 40-50 years in between. The black and white photo was sold as a postcard at "Nämdö Diversehandel" (the general store). It was taken by Folke Bengtsson (the owner of the store) probably at the beginning of the nineteen fifties. The next photo was taken in August 1999.
LL998303
LL998202
The rectory, named "Paradiset" (the Paradise).
LL98B112
The church as seen from the water, October 1998.
August 2009
Text and photo: Lars-Åke Larsson


Copyright © 2010, Cybis Elektronik & Data AB. www.cybis.se